Wednesday, August 26, 2009

nanny nanny boo boo

france is good. france is great. france is not my home, however. in case you were wondering, the following is an incomplete list of things i miss.

-BROCCOLI. I. Want. Broccoli.
-getting super high and giggling the night away. alternatively, getting super high and lying on my bed, paralyzed, listening to music and convincing myself that although i have listened to the song in question at least three thousand times before, i am hearing a "level" of the song that i have never heard before. both are great. neither is happening here.
-cooking my own food. in particular, i want angel hair pasta with tomato sauce, broccoli, and crumbled "griller's vegan" morningstar veggie burger. i also miss living in a country where eating a vegan diet is possible. yes- i'm very sorry dear vegans, but this is really just out of the question for me while i'm here. i fully intend on resuming my veganism when i return to los angeles... eating non-vegan has made me feel all sorts of wack and icky. mais, c'est la vie.
-friends and loved ones. self explanatory.
-being read as queer. standards of normative gender expression vary from region to region, from culture to culture. by parisien standards, i don't look particularly gay. i am also always without partner. this lack of visibility, coupled with an appallingly high level of misogyny, has led me to receive much unwanted attention from men. i have also had to recalibrate my gaydar rather dramatically (granted, this is something that must always be done while traveling, even if you're simply relocating from southern california to northern), and it has been kind of challenging. i'm getting there, however, and i'm finally able to distinguish the true gouines with ease.
-driving. this one is a bit of a kicker. i really didn't expect that i would miss driving. but what can i say.... after two years of los angeles living, the city certainly rubbed off on me, and i think my car and i were finally entering a sort of intensely passionate [love/hate] romantic relationship. something thats nice about driving is that it provides one with a distinct personal space bubble. i think this is especially true for me, since i drive a vw bug, a car that is literally shaped like a bubble and makes me feel like i'm in a space ship when i drive it.

5 comments:

  1. France has an appallingly high level of misogyny? Really? Fascinating... I thought that it was just this side of the continent (the countries behind the Iron Curtain, so to speak) that did... Do explain more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, mais, non! J'adore la France...

    Tu parles Francais? Si oui, nous devons parler en Francais avec nous memes. [I don't have accents... :( ]

    I very much agree with and understand the French misogyny point, though. The French, liberal as they'd like to be, are especially traditional as far as families and family structure. It even ties back to the language, if you think about it.

    I wonder what french lesbians look like...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is my second comment. I'm truly sorry.

    Will you be my best friend?! Can I friend you on FB or something?!

    My two biggest obsessions at the moment are Germny and France, and both respective languages. I want to know SO MUCH about your travels. [I swear to God, I'm not a stalker]

    If you're up for it, I'd love to friend you on FB. You can drop your URL in a comment on my blog and I'll just reject the comment so it isn't posted. AHHH! You are the coolest person ever right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melinda- I'm speaking particularly about the being-harrassed-in-the-streets-and-just-about-everywhere-else-too sort of misogyny, not necessarily structural. Since I'm not a part of institutions like families, churches, workplaces here in France, I can't comment on the extent of misogynist views in those arenas.


    Lauren- Oui je parle français, je suis en france depuis cinq mois pour le semestre universitaire. et bien sûr, en general la langue exercise une influence énorme sur la culture. avez vous lu les feministes qui discutent l'importance de la langue, comme helene cixous et luce irigaray? elles sont considerées deux des premières et plus importantes feministes postmoderne.

    je vous ai envoyé mon IM et facebook =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'll walk around with you and try to help you look more gay ;-) i have the hair for it now!

    ReplyDelete